What if a burglar cuts/disconnects the main internet cable feeding home?

1 2 Next
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #8223
I know we can go on and on about all the things that could potentially happen to disarm the system, But this is a very real possibility... Many houses have their main cable internet cord disposed externally. What if the burglar realizes that there is an ismartalarm system setup and cuts the main internet feed to the house first thing? How would the system behave if this happened? Is it completely dead at that point?

Thanks.
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #8226
tsh****@hot****.com wrote:
I know we can go on and on about all the things that could potentially happen to disarm the system, But this is a very real possibility... Many houses have their main cable internet cord disposed externally. What if the burglar realizes that there is an ismartalarm system setup and cuts the main internet feed to the house first thing? How would the system behave if this happened? Is it completely dead at that point?

Thanks.

Hello tsh*****,

If internet connection is lost, that does not render the system completely inert as long as the CubeOne still has power. When the CubeOne loses connection with our server, the server will send out a notification stating that the CubeOne is offline. As long as the CubeOne is powered on, the peripheral devices will still work and the alarm will sound locally if a device is triggered. The user will not however receive the normal alerts they would receive if the CubeOne was online.

If you need a further discussion or have any other questions, please feel free to contact our Customer Service customerservice@ismartalarm.com

Jason,
iSmart Alarm, Inc.
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #8238
Thanks for the explanation.

Is this offline notification sent to the user via email? Or could it setup to be sent as a phone call or text message?
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #8239
jas*******@ism********.com wrote:

Thanks.

Hello tsh*****,

If internet connection is lost, that does not render the system completely inert as long as the CubeOne still has power. When the CubeOne loses connection with our server, the server will send out a notification stating that the CubeOne is offline. As long as the CubeOne is powered on, the peripheral devices will still work and the alarm will sound locally if a device is triggered. The user will not however receive the normal alerts they would receive if the CubeOne was online.

If you need a further discussion or have any other questions, please feel free to contact our Customer Service customerservice@ismartalarm.com

Jason,
iSmart Alarm, Inc.

Thanks for the explanation.

Is this offline notification sent to the user via email? Or could it setup to be sent as a phone call or text message?
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #8240
It is sent as a push notification to the mobile app. No e-mail is sent. No call is made.

Jonathan
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #8340
So I recently had a real situation where the internet went out at my home thanks to an issue with my ISP and a thunderstorm. The ismartalarm failed this test in all categories. When internet went down, my alarm system was totally useless. Power was initially lost, but quickly restored. When I reset and then booted everything back up I got lots of flashing lights to come on for all of the devices, but little else happened. The local wireless network was not enough to push even a local alarm. The FOBs didn't even do anything either. The door chime feature also didn't work on the sirens. The cube one letters stayed red the entire time and it was as good as a paper weight. I was very disappointed by the system during the internet outage. I'd like my first line of interior security to be more robust than that. Also, I'd like to not have my system fail as often as my intermittently functioning ISP( which isn't all that reliable for my area though It's the better option). There are other systems with more robust designs in terms of overall functionality. A backup battery and offline performance would be really nice. I can live without the backup battery, but not working offline is a problem for me. I almost got another system that had that feature, but I didn't because I didn't like the sensors or cameras, or basic operation as much. It's looking a lot more attractive after knowing what I know now. I'd still choose this system over that one, but I felt let down and a bit more vulnerable than I think I should have given how much I invested in my system.
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #8350
Ok, so I decided to test the "offline" feature in a more controlled way. This time the iSmartAlarm performed as advertised. I'm very pleased to say that I can rescind my negative comments about it not working without internet. Technically, it does work without internet if you have FOBs and your local wifi is still active. It appears my router had trouble assigning IP addresses. This, of course, had nothing to do with the fact that the CubeOne MAC address is different by 1 (as some have pointed out), but it seems my router assigned a duplicate address to the CubeOne when it came back up. FYI, the KEEP camera continues to work over local wifi as well if internet connection is lost (obviously, it does not require FOBs). I guess I don't have any serious complaints! For those of you with DHCP configurations for your wifi, reserve an IP address for your CubeOne on your local network and it should ride through an outage and come back up with no problems. Lesson learned. I'd still like to see a good wireless outdoor camera from iSmartAlarm though. It would be great if it performed like to the new Ring stick up camera, but without monthly fees for cloud storage. Something has an amazing battery life since motion is what activates the battery-draining wireless internet. A camera that is truly wireless( no power cables or Ethernet) with rechargeable batteries. I'd buy that from ISA today. I'm not even looking to be able to pull up the camera feeds in a browser to make it slightly easier to hack. The less hardware that can access my camera feed the better is my humble opinion. I'm comfortable with the fact that only mobile devices can access the camera feed with whatever protocol it uses for now. Jason, we are all waiting for the outdoor camera solution. The competition doesn't have a better product IMHO, but a good outdoor camera would probably help cement the top spot definitively for iSmartAlarm in this market segment.
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #8353
I dug up my cable eight feet from the house and put it through heavy conduit then reburied it.  I then brought it into the garage in a hidden place were I moved my cable junction box to.  Garage is also monitored.  here is the kicker, I made a dummy box with cable running to it where all my utilities are on the back of the house. Inside I have moved the cube to a locked closet on the second floor an added the remote siren down stairs. My next step is to get the Smart switch, hook it to  12 volt power supply converter then hook an exterior siren I have from an old alarm system to it. If I see someone is breaking in through my cameras I will activate the smart switch.  I love this system! I did away with CPI they sucked.                  
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #8421
If the cable is out/cut the alarm is ONLY a NOISE MAKER.
No notification.
Posted: 2 years ago Quote #8917
Hi,
I don't know if it is already possible, but It could very interesting the possibility to configure a spare wifi network (neighbour wifi network in range) in case someone cuts home internet cable.